Friday, August 21, 2009

Linguine with Watercress and Feta



Chayne was out last night and I'd usually take this as an opportunity to eat meat or fish. I had planned to do something with the beetroot that's currently poking its head out of the soil in the garden but when I got back to Walthamstow, I was absolutely starving and couldn't be bothered to wait around for the beetroot to roast, so I picked up a bag of watercress and made a quick pestoey pasta sauce with stuff I had lying around in the cupboards. I say pestoey because I didn't have any parmesan and couldn't find any pine nuts in the kitchen even though they were right in front of my eyes. Black olives would be good, too but Asda didn't have any! Chayne returned home when I sat down to eat so I asked her to try some. "It's nice but not as good as chips," she said before putting some chips in the oven and smothering them with cheese. It's hard to disagree with a statement like that.

Ingredients
200g linguine
4 cherry tomatoes (you can have more!)
85g watercress
1 tbsp cashew nuts
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp olive oil
50g Feta cheese
1 tbsp sunflower seeds

Recipe
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200c. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and stick them in the oven for 15 minutes.
2) Put the watercress, nuts, garlic clove, lemon juice and olive oil in a mini-chopper and whizz until smooth.
3) Meanwhile cook the the linguine in salted water according to the packet instructions. 10 minutes should do it.
4) While the pasta is cooking, dry fry the sunflower seeds until they're toasted and crumble some Feta.
5) Drain the pasta, return it to the pan with a spoonful of the water you cooked it in, stir in the watercress 'pesto' and serve in bowls. Spoon the tomatoes and crumbled Feta on top and sprinkle with roasted seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment